[mrtg] Re: cfgmaker problem-- errors from a non-responsive host in config for responsive host

Steve Bonds 388rzvl02 at sneakemail.com
Fri Feb 11 20:52:37 MET 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:41:06 -0800, I wrote:
> I'm having a problem with cfgmaker 2.11.1 that causes valid interfaces
> on one host to not get set up properly when another host on the
> command line isn't responding.  (e.g. dead SNMP agent.)

> Has anyone else seen something similar?  Was there a good solution?

I found the problem-- the $SNMP_Session::errmsg global variable does
not get reset when a new "snmpget" is called.  The best place to clear
this error would be in the various SNMP utility functions.  However
since those are more widely used than just in cfgmaker and I don't
know all the interactions, I just fixed it in cfgmaker.  This way I
didn't break anything within MRTG itself. ;-)

A patch for cfgmaker is attached.

I noticed in my code-diving that "snmpopen" called by "snmpget" looks
like it always uses a hardcoded community of "public" (SNMP_util.pm
version 1.04).  Is this intentional?

  -- Steve

-- Type: application/octet-stream
-- Size: 1k (1138 bytes)