[mrtg] Re: Monitoring Linux Server

Corey Goldberg cgoldberg at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 12 19:13:16 MET 2005

>I have a Redhat Linux 9 server that I would like to use MRTG to monitor.
>I cannot seem to find scripts that will gather information such as
>traffic, uptime, cpu utilization. disk utilization, etc.
>
>Does anyone know of a script or other tool I can use to gather this
>information?

You normally gather information via SNMP.
However, MRTG allows you to create external monitoring scripts that can be written to perform any actions you want to collect stats (which will then be graphed).

I have a situation where I needed to monitor servers that are unable to use SNMP.  As an agentless solution, I created Perl scripts that login to the servers (via telnet, but this could easily be ssh or other means) and execute the commands I need to gather stats (uptime, vmstat, iostat, etc).  These are then returned to MRTG which creates graphs.

-Corey Goldberg