[mrtg] Re: Problem running mailstats {Scanned}

SW wppiphoto at wppi.com
Wed Feb 16 05:15:10 MET 2005

Paul wrote:

> Yeah, um, that isn't even close to what MRTG needs for it's input.
> You need to have the following:
>
> In
> Out
> uptime
> hostname
>
> The 3rd and 4th lines aren't necessary, you can just output
> blanks or other information.
>
> http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg-reference.html
>
> Look for "External Monitoring Scripts".
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

This is an external script I found in the mrtg contrib 'mrtg-mail'. It's
from 1998 so maybe that's the problem. But I've configured it so that it can
output the statistics for sendmail.

What appears to be happening is that the script is getting confused as to
what it should do w/ the output from /usr/sbin/mailstats. It seems to be
looking at the 'M' line instead of line '4' or '9':

# /usr/sbin/mailstats
Statistics from Sun Dec 19 16:03:20 2004
M msgsfr bytes_from msgsto bytes_to msgsrej msgsdis Mailer
4 12 265K 315 1231K 0 0 esmtp
9 345 1287K 9 67K 0 0 local
T 357 1552K 324 1298K 0 0
C 316 236 0

Also, what do I need to put for IN and OUT if this is not a ethernet device
but instead the IN and OUT are from the above /usr/sbin/mailstats msgsfr and
msgsto.

Thanks,

SW

        WPPi.com        |        WPPi.Net
  http://www.wppi.com   |  http://www.wppi.net
WPPi.com & WPPi.Net MailScanner Signature
This message has been scanned for viruses
and dangerous content by WPPi MailScanner,
and has been found to be clean.