[mrtg] Re: Problem running mailstats {Scanned}

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed Feb 16 12:05:50 MET 2005

>>> <wppiphoto at wppi.com> 2/15/2005 11:15:10 PM >>>
>Hi Paul,
>
>This is an external script I found in the mrtg contrib 'mrtg-mail'.
It's
>from 1998 so maybe that's the problem. But I've configured it so that
it can
>output the statistics for sendmail.

The input for mrtg has been fairly consistent.  More on the other
information lower...

>What appears to be happening is that the script is getting confused as
>what it should do w/ the output from /usr/sbin/mailstats. It seems to
be
>looking at the 'M' line instead of line '4' or '9':

The script (mailstats) isn't getting confused.  It's outputting exactly
what
its being told to output.

># /usr/sbin/mailstats
>Statistics from Sun Dec 19 16:03:20 2004
>M msgsfr bytes_from msgsto bytes_to msgsrej msgsdis Mailer
>4 12 265K 315 1231K 0 0 esmtp
>9 345 1287K 9 67K 0 0 local
>T 357 1552K 324 1298K 0 0
>C 316 236 0
>
>Also, what do I need to put for IN and OUT if this is not a ethernet
device
>but instead the IN and OUT are from the above /usr/sbin/mailstats
msgsfr and
>msgsto.

I think I told youin  the last e-mail.

You need to modify the output of the mailstats program so that it looks
like:

in
out
uptime
hostname

IOW, the output from above should look something like so:

# /usr/sbin/mailstats
4
9
16:03:20:45
postman

>Thanks,
>
>SW

        WPPi.com        |        WPPi.Net
  http://www.wppi.com   |  http://www.wppi.net
WPPi.com & WPPi.Net MailScanner Signature
This message has been scanned for viruses
and dangerous content by WPPi MailScanner,
and has been found to be clean.