[mrtg] Re: Monitor more than one year?

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Mon Feb 21 14:59:19 MET 2005

> Hi
> Is it possible to monitor and graph a period which is longer than 1 year?
> at the moment i can't use rrd-tool, so it is not an acceptable solution...

While not the most elegant solution, I have a cronjob that runs at
midnight on the first of each year and archives all the old MRTG data (and
I mean *all* the data -- graphs, logs, everything). This way it is
possible to pull up archived historical data from previous years by going
to something like 2004/graphname.html, which is easy to deal with.

I don't think you'd be able to extend the amount of data MRTG is holding
to do "real" monitoring of > 1 year without a lot of patching, although
the logs themselves do hold more than 1 year of data -- but at lower
resolution. We're able to use our traffic calculator to get traffic/month
numbers going back some 1.5 years or so using only what's in MRTG's own
logfiles. How useful that is depends on what you're trying to achieve...

     -Bill