[mrtg] creating templock permission error

bob flynn bob.flynn at s3group.com
Thu Feb 24 13:16:37 MET 2005

Hi,

I am attempting to do the following.

Run mrtg with storage from an NFS provided storage.

I have created a user called mrtg.

I am running mrtg with the following command.

 mrtg --user=mrtg /home/mrtg/mrtg-2/conf/mrtg.conf

This throws back the following error message;

ERROR: Creating templock /home/mrtg/mrtg-2/conf/mrtg.conf_l_30122:
Permission de
nied at /usr/bin/mrtg line 1433.

I am initially running mrtg as root ( from a startup script ).

My understanding is the specifying the user would daemonize the process
running under this user, which would get around the permissions issue.

So, it seems I can do two things.

1. Specifiy a local location ( /var/tmp or /tmp ) on the box and have it
create the templock in this location rather than beside the mrtg.conf

2. Enable root access for this box on the NIS mount. I really do not
want to do this.

Can anyone shed any light on how to specifiy the location for the
templock files ?

-Bob

The information contained in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and is designated solely for the attention of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or retain this e-mail or any part thereof. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all copies of this e-mail from your computer system(s).
Please direct any additional queries to: communications at s3group.com.
Thank You.