[mrtg] Re: MRTG Ethernet

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Thu Jan 6 05:40:36 MET 2005

> Hello,
> I do not have any router.
> I have only two Ethernet cards, one connected with a Switch for Wireless
> internet Connectivity (210.x.x.x), another Ethernet card connected to
> Local
> Office LAN pc's for file and internet sharing (192.168.0.1).
>
> Can I use MRTG for windows 2000 to monitor traffic on these two Ethernet
> cards?

Yes, you can use MRTG to monitor the cards, but you'll need to load SNMP
services for the machine you're trying to monitor. Microsoft has SNMP
services for Windows that will work, for *NIX you need one of the various
snmpd implementations. Once you have the machine responding to SNMP
queries, just run cfgmaker against it and query the interfaces just like
you would for any other network device.

     -Bill