[mrtg] Re: Two copies of MRTG disagree with each other about usage

Craig Humphrey Craig.Humphrey at chapmantripp.com
Thu Jul 21 01:49:31 MEST 2005

Hi Zach,

At first glance I'd say that your ISP is measuring in MegaBits per
second and you're measuring in MegaBytes per second, the ratio seems
about right.

Are you both polling the same interface on the switch?
If not, (e.g. you're polling the inside of the firewall, they're polling
the outside) then it's quite conceivable that the firewall is filtering
out a huge amount of "noise" traffic that just doesn't belong on your
network.  In which case, you should be trying to find out what it is and
why you're only getting about 10% legit traffic (by volume, let alone #
packets).

Why have the ISP coming in via a switch, can't you plug it straight into
the Firewall? Then you don't have to VLAN off that part of the switch.
If you still need MRTG stats, you/they should be able to get them from
the firewall itself (though of course your side will probably still be
plugged into a switch somewhere...)

Also, I seem to recall people pointing out that Cisco interface stats
for VLANs is fairly unreliable, but that could be just hearsay.

Just my 2c, hope it helps.

Later'ish
Craig

[snip snip]