[mrtg] Re: threshold alert every 2 hour, not every 5 minutes

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Jun 13 00:53:12 MEST 2005

>If the T1 maxes out for 30 minutes, I'd receive 6 email messages
>notifying me of the threshold break.   This is unreasonable.  I want to
>receive 1 email message only if the T1 maxes out for 2 hours
>straight. Does anyone have any ideas on how I would go about
>doing this?  Thanks in advance.

Don't use MRTG for alerting; the Alert functionality in MRTG is very basic.
MRTG is designed for logging (making graphs) and the alerting is a later
bolt-on.  Instead, install something like Nagios (this is what we use) and
then query the stats either independently or using the Nagios check_mrtg
plugin.  This will allow you to set up highly flexible alerting rules.

Steve