[mrtg] Re: SNMP monitoring of Windows CPU/Memory/Disk

Garth Williams garth.williams at wtcs.org
Tue Jun 14 03:14:33 MEST 2005

OK, So I guess I should step in.

There is a fairly good readme with Informant, but no install manual.  You
simply run the install program, and that's it.  Then, like any other SNMP
service, you need to load the MIBs (also called compile in other terms), and
browse the WTCS MIBS.  In some cases, it has been seen that the SNMP service
needs to be restarted, but it is not SUPPOSED to be a requirement, although
because SNMP Informant is an MS EXTENSTION agent, this may be the case from
time to time.  We can't control that, so to be sure, restart the SNMP
service.

The free Standard version comes with SNMPv1 and SNMPv2 MIBS, so get the ones
you need (based on your MIB browser/compiler from either the c:\program
files\snmp informant\standard\mibs\SMIv1 or SMIV2 directory, and away you
go.  If you have problems, you can post your issues on the SNMP Informant
support forums accessible from the Support page on snmp-informant.com.

I have been refraining from using this list group if the question is not
specifically MRTG related. SNMP Informant STD supports Logical Disk, Network
Interface, Processor, Memory and Objects, so should provide the information
you seek.  MANY people use it.  I will help you wherever possible.

Thank you very much!

Garth K. Williams - Product Manager
Williams Technology Consulting Services (http://www.wtcs.org)
 - SNMP Informant (http://www.snmp-informant.com)