[mrtg] sysUptime vs hrSystemUptime

Vladislav Staroselskiy inet at vladstar.pp.ru
Tue Jun 21 19:10:19 MEST 2005

Hi !

OS: Fedora Core 3 Linux:
bash-3.00# uname -a
Linux ns1 2.6.11-1.27_FC3 #1 Tue May 17 20:27:37 EDT 2005 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux
bash-3.00# rpm -q mrtg
mrtg-2.10.15-1
bash-3.00# rpm -q net-snmp
net-snmp-5.2.1-10.FC3

I found today, that mrtg reports wrong uptime for my recentely updated to
FC3 servers, compared to 'uptime' shell command. I have performed some
investigation and it showed, that mrtg uses slightly wrong OID variable to
get uptime value.

Take a look at the following net-snmp FAQ:
http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/docs/FAQ.html#The_system_uptime__sysUpTime__returned_is_wrong_

According to it, sysUptime reports time since last snmpd restart, while
hrSystemUptime reports time since last system reboot, which is adequate to
what 'uptime' command shows, and which, I guess, supposed to be in "had been
up for N days" string.

Questions:
1) Is there way to "redefine" sysUptime to hrSystemUptime in mrtg configs,
that I am not aware of (w/o using external call) ?
2) If (1) doesn't exist, is there way to implement it ? Does it seem to be
wrong enough to report it as a bug and let developers fix it in mrtg source
code ?

Thanks.

Sincerely yours, Vladislav Staroselskiy.