[mrtg] snmp v3 migration

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Wed Jun 22 15:29:39 MEST 2005

I've been directed to get snmp v3 working in our network, and eliminate
as much v2 as possible.  I have a rather short deadline for this - maybe
a couple of weeks tops.

mrtg is our primary polling service, and I don't want to lose the
flexibility that it gives us.

I can take one of two approaches:
1.  replace the 4 snmpget statements in /usr/bin/mrtg with something
that calls snmpget from Net::SNMP, also the 3 snmpwalk statements in
MRTG_lib.pm, and hack up configmaker and the dozen other utilities I
wrote using the same infrastructure...

2.  hack up SNMP_Utils.pm so that when it sees a 3 after the 5th colon,
it calls Net::SNMP.  Since I database all of the access codes, I don't
really need to worry about encoding the priv and auth password hashes in
the target string.

Has anyone done any work towards either approach?  Or are there
alternative suggestions?  If necessary, I'll write a polling script and
call it from mrtg from the external interface, but that eliminates the
nicely named interfaces unless I duplicate the configcache functionality
as well...

Suggestions very welcome.
--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX