[mrtg] Re: Number of monitored interfaces

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Thu Jun 23 15:02:52 MEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 08:01 -0400, Wade Bowlin wrote:
> I can run several hundred ports with mrtg/rrd but the limitation is when
> pulling up a page with multiple graphs.  It literally takes about 10 minutes
> for 14all.cgi to build the index pages at 100% CPU on a dual 500Mhz machine.
> Any suggestions on how to speed up the portion?

Don't use 14all.  Use Routers2.cgi If you have several hundred graphs,
organizing them the routers2 way is much more logical.

For routers2.cgi to make the most sense out of your information, every
router config should be in a separate file, and your configs should be
grouped into separate directories.

I have 5445 active targets on one of my mrtg pollers, amongst 334 hosts.
I'm running:
[mcdonalddj at ldap2 rrd]$ dmesg | grep CPU | grep 'Intel(R)'
CPU0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) III CPU - S         1400MHz stepping 04
CPU1: Intel(R) Pentium(R) III CPU - S         1400MHz stepping 04

[root at ldap2 root]# uname -r
2.6.8.1-24mdksmp

I also run hobbit and bbmrtg.pl on this same box, and a few other
intensive things.  load average is about 1.30

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX
Austin Energy

dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com