[mrtg] Re: Number of monitored interfaces

Pavel Ruzicka pavouk at pavouk.org
Thu Jun 23 14:37:27 MEST 2005

Hello,

> I can run several hundred ports with mrtg/rrd but the limitation is when
> pulling up a page with multiple graphs.  It literally takes about 10
> minutes for 14all.cgi to build the index pages at 100% CPU on a dual 500Mhz
> machine. Any suggestions on how to speed up the portion?

Your problem probably will be not enough of RAM.
You need fast harddisk too.
I have 3GB of RAM, 15000RPM Ultra320 SCSI harddisk for about 10000 targets.

Linux uses RAM for harddisk cache. With more RAM you can run more forks.
For speeding up 14all.cgi helps modperl in Apache and split config file
to more configs (for example one config for one hostname) and access with
14all.cgi only one config file.

Best regards,

Pavel Ruzicka