[mrtg] Need help with an error

Steve Lindemann steve at marmot.org
Fri Jun 24 18:46:20 MEST 2005

Can anyone help me determine what this error means and what my options are for
fixing the problem?

I get the following error email from MRTG:

WARNING: Could not match host:'<rocommunity>@<ip address>:' ref:'Descr' key:'S0/0'
ERROR: Target[bud_old][_IN_] ' $target->[7]{$mode} ' did not eval into defined data
ERROR: Target[bud_old][_OUT_] ' $target->[7]{$mode} ' did not eval into defined
data

#----------------------------------------------------------------
Against this config in /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg:

### Bud Werner Memorial (old router on MNT network)
Target[bud_old]: \S0/0:<rocommunity>@<ip address>:
MaxBytes[bud_old]: 193000
Title[bud_old]: Bud Werner Memorial
PageTop[bud_old]: <H2>Bud Werner Memorial (OLD ROUTER - MNT T1)</H2>

#----------------------------------------------------------------
Talking to this interface on the router across the internet:

interface Serial0/0
  description MNT T1 to Internet
  ip address <ip address> 255.255.255.252
  ip access-group internet-in in
  ip nat outside

#----------------------------------------------------------------
I've replace my community string and ip address in this email with
<rocommunity>@<ip address> for security reasons.  I have confirmed that the
correct community string and ip address are in the config.  I can ping the
interface and I can log into the router on that interface, so I have connectivity.

I can't find anything that describes this error message, or any other for that
matter.  I've looked thru the logs on the MRTG server and don't see any other
error messages.  In fact, I don't see any messages about MRTG except in the
cron log (every 10 minutes), as you would expect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
--
Steve Lindemann
Network Administrator
email: mailto:steve at marmot.org