[mrtg] Re: Need help with an error

Steve Lindemann steve at marmot.org
Mon Jun 27 21:21:15 MEST 2005

Thank you for replying.  Unfortunately, I had already tried it with \Serial0/0
in place of \S0/0  (though this has worked before) and had the same problem
only now it complained about (community string and ip replaced for security):

WARNING: Could not match host:'<rocommunity>@<ip address>:' ref:'Descr'
key:'Serial0/0'
ERROR: Target[bud_old][_IN_] ' $target->[7]{$mode} ' did not eval into defined data
ERROR: Target[bud_old][_OUT_] ' $target->[7]{$mode} ' did not eval into defined
data.

I did take your suggestion to use cfgmaker and as a result I've isolated the
problem to communications with the router (i.e. my config is probably ok).
Using your suggestion and a simple default execution I got the same response to
both:

[mrtg]# cfgmaker --ifref=descr <rocommunity>@<ip address>
[mrtg]# cfgmaker <rocommunity>@<ip address>

...of:

--base: Get Device Info on <rocommunity>@<ip address>:
SNMP Error:
no response received
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "<ip address>" [<ip address>].161)
                   community: "<rocommunity>"
                  request ID: 271753673
                 PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                     timeout: 2s
                     retries: 5
                     backoff: 1)
  at /usr/bin//../lib/mrtg2/SNMP_util.pm line 627
SNMPWALK Problem for 1.3.6.1.2.1.1 on <rocommunity>@<ip address>::::::v4only
  at /usr/bin/cfgmaker line 831
WARNING: Skipping <rocommunity>@<ip address>: as no info could be retrieved

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I could best troubleshoot this issue
I'd appreciate the input.  But for now it appears that my problem is not MRTG
related and no longer fits this list.  Thanks again!

--
Steve Lindemann
Network Administrator
email: mailto:steve at marmot.org