[mrtg] Re: Newbie question

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Tue Mar 1 00:23:56 MET 2005

> I have a question...
>
> Is MaxBytes just used to calculate the percentage values, and possibly
> give the graph a fixed scale?  If this is true, then what happens if you
> go over the MaxBytes value on the interface?  I realize that a
> fixed-scale graph would go off the charts, but would the percentages go
> to 150%, for example?  Anybody ever tried this?

Values higher than MaxBytes are ignored (read the info in the example
mrtg.cfg file). You can use AbsMax to change this. For example, we have an
access concentrator with two PRIs (one PRI = 23 dialin channels). We set
MaxBytes to "23" and AbsMax to 46, which results in red dotted line being
drawn on the graph at 23 (when the graph is scaled so that shows up), and
anything above that is channel use on the second PRI circuit.

There are pretty decent explanations of the config file directives in the
example mrtg.cfg file that you should probably read through.

     -Bill