[mrtg] Measuring bandwidth for a Linux webserver

Leone, Michael MLeone at Contributionship.com
Wed Mar 2 20:48:55 MET 2005

We run a webserver here (on my DMZ) using a program called Coyote, which is
a webserver add-on for Pick, which is a database environment. All this runs
on top of Red Hat Enterprise Linux v3. What I'd like to do - have MRTG
measure the bandwidth of just this webserver, so my MRTG (which is running
on Win2000) needs an entry to monitor this Linux webserver.
I am unsure how to create the entry; what do I need to enter for the
"iftype"? For my Pix, I use "ethernetCsmacd (6)". I can't seem to locate a
reference that tells me what I should be putting in here, for a NIC in a
Linux server.

Here's what I am getting from cfgmaker:

D:\mrtg-2.10.13\bin>perl cfgmaker public at 192.168.1.52 --global "WorkDir:
d:\mrtg-2.0.13\bin" --output test-coyote.cfg
--base: Get Device Info on public at 192.168.1.52:
--base: Vendor Id:
--base: Populating confcache
--snpo: Skipping ifName scanning because public at 192.168.1.52: does not seem
to support it
--base: Get Interface Info
--base: Walking ifIndex
--base: Walking ifType
--base: Walking ifAdminStatus
--base: Walking ifOperStatus
--base: Walking ifSpeed
--base: Writing test-coyote.cfg

And I get an empty config file. So ... Am I issuing cfgmaker wrong, or is my
SNMP not configured properly for RHEL? I'm more than a bit lost and
confused, at this point. Any pointers appreciated.

Michael Leone, Systems Administrator
Philadelphia Contributionship
210 S. 4th Street, Philadelphia, PA  19106
<mailto:mleone at contributionship.com>
V: 215-627-1752 x1282
F: 215-627-5354