[mrtg] Backing up MRTG

Chuck.Coker at rcc.edu Chuck.Coker at rcc.edu
Thu Mar 17 17:12:45 MET 2005

Hi Folks,

I have some questions about backing up our MRTG installation.

1. Due to space limitations, I am trying to only back up our .cfg and
.rrd files, and our Perl scripts. Is there anything else that I should
be backing up?

2. If I try something like this

tar -cMvP -f /zip/mrtg-backup_2005-03-17.tar /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/

everything works okay except that I get ~all~ of the files. If I try to
restrict the file list with

tar -cMvP -f /zip/mrtg-backup_2005-03-17.tar /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/*.rrd

I get an error message from tar: Argument list is too long.

Is there a work-around for this?

3. Another avenue I'm exploring is a text file listing the files I want
tar to back up. Is there a way to list files with their absolute paths?
I want to be able to do something like

ls -l | grep .rrd > myfilelist.txt

and use myfilelist.txt for input to tar.

Thanks,
Chuck