[mrtg] Re: Fwd: Newbie - Problems with CPU, memory, swap on Compaq Deskpro

Corstian corstian at consonare.nl
Tue Mar 22 13:16:12 MET 2005

Hi Jan,

MRTG is running without any error, so the syntax of my config-file is
correct, I guess...

I scheduled MRTG to run every 5 minutes as follows:
*/5 * * * * env LANG=C /usr/bin/mrtg /etc/mrtg/mrtg.conf --logging
/var/log/mrtg.log

The output of MRTG can be found at
http://pinkpanther.homelinux.net/System/mrtg/
To see the graphs: logon as user "guest" with password "guest".

Here you find a page, created by the indexmaker, containing 5 graphs.
I will walk through them, and explain their problems.

1. Network Traffic Analysis (eth0): looks ok for me :-)

2. load average (cpu): I just get a constant value of 1.0 % for both user
load as system load, instead of the fluctuating graph I expect. It just
cannot be true, that the load is that constant.

3. load average (cpu2): Almost the same as cpu, but here I get 0%, which
really cannot be true

4. Memory Statistics: Physical Memory: Total Memory looks ok (The system
has 256 MB installed), but the Available Memory on the graph is always 0
MB, while the real available memory is fluctuating between 5 MB and 20 MB

5. Memory Statistics: Swap: Available swap on the graph is now always 0
MB, while it should be (most of the time) 512 MB. Total swap on the graph
is fluctuating betweeen 0 MB and 10 MB, maybe this isn't the Total Swap,
but the used swap, but I am not sure about that.

Again the links to my system:
Here is a link to my mrtg.conf file:
  http://pinkpanther.homelinux.net/System/mrtg/mrtg.conf

Here you can find the actual graphs, created by mrtg:
  http://pinkpanther.homelinux.net/System/mrtg/

Here you can find some info about my system (created by phpSysinfo)
  http://pinkpanther.homelinux.net/System/info/

To logon to these webpages, you can use:
user: guest
pass: guest

regards,
Corstian