[mrtg] Re: mrtg-rrd and big setup

Pavel Ruzicka pavouk at pavouk.org
Wed May 18 00:59:52 MEST 2005

Hello,

> I am getting all the time HIGH CPU LOAD.
> Machine is P4 with CPU  2.04 Ghz cache 1024KB  and 512MB RAM module.
> Is there another way for  graphing traffic using SNMP?

I have about 8000 targets and no problem. I have one main mrtg.cfg
with includes. This is for faster 14all.cgi graphing.
I use 20 forks for now.
For bigger number of forks you need more RAM. I have 3GBs.
Check your system, if use swap. I yes, this is bad and you need more RAM.
My system doesn't use swap and many of RAM uses linux kernel for caches
(more than 1 GB in my case).
Big load can be caused by slow HDD access.
I have two 15000RPM ultra320 SCSI harddisks in a mirror.
Processor speed is not critical.
Check older messages in mailing-list archive, for example message
from Tomas Zeman with subject "Using MRTG in BIG setup" is rich
for optimization informations.

> Thank you in advance,
> Valton

best regards,