[mrtg] Re: Problems with interfaces running at GigE speed

Pavel Ruzicka pavouk at pavouk.org
Mon Nov 7 00:26:22 MET 2005

Hi,

> I'm using mrtg to monitor some servers with GigE connections to the
> internet. All these servers are pushing 600-800mbit to the internet,
> causing counter rollover in snmp.
>
> I've recompiled SNMP with --with-mfd-rewrites to enable 64-bit counters
> in net-snmp. I'm running mrtg with :::::2 at every host in mrtg.cfg.

MRTG probably doesn't use net-snmp tools. What version of MRTG you have?
It's possible that, your device (what device you read?) doesn't support
64bit counters and MRTG doesn't read them.

> The problem is that I still have problems with counter wrapping, also
> with the ':::::2' option added.
>
> I'm running mrtg every minute.

Running every 5 minutes is enough with 64bit counters.

> Any comments to make this work?

I measure traffic on STM-16 and Gigabit interfaces on Cisco routers and
switches without problems.

Best regards,

Pavel Ruzicka