[mrtg] Re: Duplex mismatch discover

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Nov 29 04:13:04 MET 2005

>   I am interested in discovering duplex mismatch on my network.  I have the OID for
the switchport duplex but I am not sure how I can find the device connected on the
other side of the switchport.  I am intersted in finding the following on the device
connect to the switchport:

>   MAC.
>   Speed
>   Duplex
>
>   Can anyone be kind and share some inputs or the appropriate OID's for any of the
items above

The MAC address and Speed of an interface is always available via the stardard
mib2 variables in mrtg.

Duplex settings were not included in the mib2 definitions, therefore historically
its been up to each system/device/nic-driver manufacturer to come up with
something in their private mib. Their private mib is oftentimes published.

In general, you will need to research the duplex mib for each vendor that
you might want to poll.