[mrtg] Re: MRTG Mapping Fractional T1

Andrew Hull list at racc2000.com
Thu Oct 13 17:27:18 MEST 2005

Natalie,
I see a potential problem:

the 'bandwidth 1024' statement in your interface config tells me that
your provider is selling your a T1 throttled to 1024 kilobit/sec.

The 'bandwidth' statement instructs the interface not to exceed 1024
kbit/sec, this is good. I'm guessing that your provider has limited the
number of timeslots (channels) that the circuit uses, but your interface
is currently configured to use all of them (the default).

You can confirm that with "show service-module serial1"
You'll see a line in the output like:

<SNIP>
Fraction has 24 timeslots (64 Kbits/sec each), Net bandwidth is 1536
Kbits/sec.
<!SNIP>

The interfaces on each end of the circuit need to match, and I'm
guessing that your provider has the circuit limited to 16 timeslots. It
would be worth a call to your provider to confirm this.

16 * 64kbps == 1024 kbps

Adding "service-module t1 timeslots 1-16" would limit your interface to
16 timeslots and (hopefully) fix your problems.

Also, I didn't see a clock source statement in your interface config. It
would be a good idea to add one. Your provider is probably providing the
timing for the circuit (another good thing to confirm) so adding
"service-module t1 clock source line" to the interface would do it.

Hope that helps,
Andrew Hull