[mrtg] How to measure VLAN Traffic with MRTG ?

nobody cot39070-forumaccount at fh-regensburg.de
Mon Sep 5 11:01:42 MEST 2005

Hi all,

we have a lot of different Cisco Switches and we want now to display the
Traffic of some VLANs (at a Webpage). I would like to get the Traffic
with SNMP (using Mrtg).

For Example:
Lets say we have a Switch with 24 Ports. 12 Ports are used with VLAN 100
and the other 12 Ports are used with VLAN 200.

The Problem:
Sure i can Mrtg say: "Take the physical Ports 1,2,3,4,5...12 ,build a
sum and display it as VLAN 100". But if the configuration of the Switch
changes i have always to modify the mrtg Config too.

My Question:
Does a Switch store some VLAN Information like Traffic/Bandwidth etc in
a special part of the MIB? If so, i could directly read out these values
and display it without having problems when the configuration of the
Switch changes.

(I know that the Cisco Switches produces an "interface - entry" for
every VLAN, but i did not find something about the Traffic)

Thanks a lot

-Tom-