[mrtg] Large inaccurate spikes in graphs

Adam Bayless adam at baylessfamily.org
Tue Sep 6 23:01:15 MEST 2005

I'm using mrtg 2.12.2 on BSD/OS and getting very large spikes in the
graphs that can't possibly be accurate. I have AbsMax set for all
graphs, and the spikes are not going above AbsMax, but they are still
too big for the counters being graphed. Is there a known bug for MRTG
that might explain this? We just started seeing this happen recently on
several different types of graphs (snmp target and external scripts).
The machine doing the graphs is fairly busy (load averages:  9.38,
8.28,  8.04 ) but would this make MRTG start making arithmetic mistakes?

Here's an example graph:

http://www.fiber.net/users/abayless/117458-day.gif

Thanks,

Adam