[mrtg] Re: Input Queue Drop on a VLAN

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Mon Sep 12 13:53:41 MEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 17:13 -0400, Walid Khalil wrote:
> Hi,
> I am seeing Input Queue drops on one of our VLAN. Is this should be treated as a regular Interface ?

Yes.
> and what is that mean when there is Input Queue drops  on a VLAN, is it a misconfiguration or is
> it coming from some of the devices on that specific VLAN ?

No, it usually means that one of the destination interfaces is
overloaded, or that the box is process switching and doesn't have
sufficient time to deal with all of the packets.

It can also be an indication of a hardware error, particularly with the
"coil" chips on the 6500 series ws-x63xx series modules.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX, CISSP # 78281
Austin Energy

dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com