[mrtg] Re: MRTG and RRDTool how to

kelsey hudson khudson at tsss.org
Wed Sep 14 23:48:30 MEST 2005

Richard F. Hart II wrote:
> I am curious if anyone can point me to a guide that will tell me how to
> install mrtg and rrdtool together on Linux/Unix platform. I have run

It's easy -- add

LogFormat: rrdtool

to your config file and re-run MRTG. If you're running Linux, and a
common distribution thereof, there probably exists a prepackaged
mrtg/rrdtool distribution. The same goes for *bsd, i'd imagine.

> mrtg before, but never with rrdtool nor rateup. I have searched this
> listserv, and have been unable to locate such a tutorial. Any assistance
> will be appreciated.

Never used rateup? Sure you have. rateup is the default log
format/graphing style used by mrtg. :)

If you use rrdtool, your graphs will not get generated every time mrtg
runs. You'll have to rely on something that draws graphs on-demand. I
use a hacked version of 14all.cgi (my14all.sf.net) to do my graphing.
But, since my graphing just got a lot more complex, I might switch to
another tool which I can use to separate out different devices.

If I remember right, there's a list of these frontends on the mrtg website.

Hope this gives you a little kickstart. :)

-kelsey