[mrtg] Re: Large and Multiple mrtg configurations

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Thu Sep 15 21:26:34 MEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 11:41 -0400, Cliff Cole wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I am managing some large mrtg config files.  These files range from 1-2 MB a
> piece with a lot of different graphs for internet circuits we manage.  I
> would say we manage around 1000 different circuits which all have graphs
> plus some custom graphs customers want to see per their site.

I have well over 5000 targets currently, among close to 600 devices.

>  I would like
> to get some input on how other people manage their configuration.

I use cfgmaker with templates to generate the configs.   I have a
database where I store the salient information (what subdirectory, what
are the snmp strings or V3 user information, what sort of device is it)
and another table that describes the particulars on a device (templates,
whether to include interfaces, what the ifref is supposed to be, snmp
timeouts).  Whenever I make a change, I run a script that generates
cfgmaker statements and a fresh mrtg.cfg file.

My mrtg.cfg file has nothing but include statements.  I have a
"common.cfg" file with all of the things that need to be static -
workdir and mibs to be loaded, mainly - and then I have a separate cfg
file for every device, arranged in sub-directories.

I do use cron - that way I don't have to restart it every time I create
a revised config.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX, CISSP # 78281
Austin Energy

dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com