[mrtg] Re: graphs not getting generated

daniel.a.lauer at Cummins.com daniel.a.lauer at Cummins.com
Wed Sep 21 20:40:04 MEST 2005

To answer my own problem.
I downgraded MRTG back to version 2.11.1 and the problems vanished using
the same config files and data.  There must be bugs in the version of
rateup distributed with 2.12.2.

Dan Lauer

daniel.a.lauer at Cummins.com
Sent by: mrtg-bounce at list.ee.ethz.ch
09/15/2005 09:09 AM

        To:     mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
        cc:
        Subject:        [mrtg] graphs not getting generated

Hi all,
I've inherited an MRTG setup that I then had to migrate off old hardware
onto a newer Solaris 9 platform.  Along the way I updated MRTG to 2.12.2.

I'm using mrtg and rateup.  After migrating all the config files and data
files over and starting cron jobs to collect the data, Data has been
collected but I'm having two maybe related problems.    The first problem
is that "daily" graphs are being produced fine and put in the right spots
but weekly, monthly and yearly graphs aren't being drawn!  The data seems
to be there in my .log files and I don't see a "Supress" statement in any
of my config files (config file snippet is below).

I've tried rm'ing all the .png files and letting it run to see if it would

generate the files but no luck... The myrouter.##-day.png,
myrouter.##.html, myrouter.##.log and myrouter.##.old files all get
generated but none of the weekly, monthly or yearly.png get made.

Second, I'm getting some errors when mrtg runs, looks like it's unhappy
with MaxBytes but I don't know why:
Rateup ERROR: Can't cope with 100, sorry!

PROBLEM: rateup died from Signal 0
 with Exit Value 1 when doing router 'myrouter.cpu'
 code was 256, retcode was . If this happens all the time,
 you should probably investigate the cause. :-)

Rateup ERROR: Can't cope with 8, sorry!

PROBLEM: rateup died from Signal 0
 with Exit Value 1 when doing router 'myrouter.modems'
 code was 256, retcode was . If this happens all the time,
 you should probably investigate the cause. :-)

snip

thanks in advance for any advice!

Dan Lauer

Unix Team