[mrtg] Re: Protocolwise and hostwise traffic measurement on a NAT gateway

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Fri Sep 23 15:21:11 MEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 10:14 +0530, Yogesh Hasabnis wrote:
> Hi,
> Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try to set up cacti or ethereal for
> my requirement. But does that mean that measurement of bandwidth usage by
> various protocols and internal hosts can not be achieved using mrtg at all ?

mrtg is merely a reporting engine.  If there are no snmp mibs with the
data you want, mrtg cannot display it.

If you are looking for a strategic tool to provide this sort of
information, I would recommend that you use netflow to collect the
information, and use one of the programs listed at
http://www.switch.ch/tf-tant/floma/software.html for display.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX, CISSP # 78281
Austin Energy

dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com