[mrtg] Introduction and Question

Berger, Gary GARY.BERGER at odnss.com
Fri Aug 11 18:58:09 MEST 2006

I am new to this list and would like to introduce myself.  I am currently
the IT Director of a mid-sized law firm.  We have 25 locations throughout
the United States varying in size.   I have used MRTG for network monitoring
in one form or another for about 12 years.

Now, my question; we are monitoring our 25 locations from a data center in
Atlanta.  Our latency to varies from between 30ms to 55ms depending on the
location.  We currently have our polling interval set to 5 minutes which I
believe is the default.  Of course this is controlled by Cron (we are
running on Linux).  Is it reasonable for me to think that I can set the
polling interval to 5 seconds and get a good response?  My experience in
general has been that getting results back from the SNMP queries of the
routers takes longer than this.  Net/net I end up with missed samples etc.
If this is not reasonable, can you recommend a tool that can help me get
this level of granularity on network performance?  My suspicion is that I
will need to take a distributed approach placing an MRTG box at every
location and have it watch the WAN port for that location.  With this
approach is it reasonable for me to expect a polling interval of 5 seconds
to be successful?

Any thoughts, recommendations, etc is greatly appreciated.

Gary L. Berger
Director, Information Technology
Ogletree Deakins Law Firm
918 S. Pleasantburg Drive