[mrtg] unknown values

David Grohmann grohmann at arlut.utexas.edu
Thu Aug 17 00:31:54 MEST 2006

I understand the MRTG has 2 ways of dealing with unknowns. The default
is to assume the previous value, and the other option is to assume zero.

However, while computing a large expression from different hosts,
specifically an average in my case. If any of the values in the
expression or unknown then the whole target reverts to either zero or
flat line.

For example, I'm trying to get the average cpu usage in a room (among
many other averages ram usage, disk usage, network throughput), if host
A goes offline for whatever reason I would prefer that the calculation
go on assuming that Host A's cpu usage is zero(or use the previous value
of host A's cpu usage) and have the calculated target still give out a
meaningful value instead of it reverting to zero or the previous value
of the target.

Is there anyway to do this?

--
David Grohmann