[mrtg] Re: Perl Instances

Meurer, Jason JMeurer at KHOV.COM
Thu Aug 17 05:32:10 MEST 2006

Thanks Steve,
While the server was not handling all of the cfg files well, I also
found that the crontab file was corrupt in the system32 directory.  Once
I repaired it and consolidated the cfg's into 5 master cfg's, I returned
to action.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Shipway [mailto:s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz]
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 6:53 PM
To: Meurer, Jason; mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: RE: [mrtg] Re: Perl Instances

> > I recently added some more routers to my Windows 2003 based
> install of
> > the bundle.  This brings me to around 40 devices total.  I know have
> > 800+ instances of perl running and the machine is out of
> virtual memory.

This sounds a bit odd.  MRTG is pretty good about handling the targets
sequentially...

I would suggest that you have a single .cfg for each of the 40 devices,
and then a single master cfg file that uses 'Include:' to include the 40
device .cfg files.  Then, run MRTG only on the master cfg file (see the
routers2 documentation for details on how to do this - since you use the
bundle install I assume you are using the routers2 frontend.  routers2
documentation is available in the install package or else on
www.steveshipway.org/software/rrd ).

If you do this, you should have one instance of perl for MRTG, which
will sequentially work through all the targets.  This will work as long
as your machine is powerful enough - if not, it will take >5min to
process all the targets, and so you will need to split into multiple
master .cfg files.  Here, we have >3000 targets, so we have about 30
master cfg files running in parallel.

Steve