[mrtg] Re: Network Weathermap with MRTG

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Thu Dec 28 22:08:01 MET 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 09:13 +1300, Steve Shipway wrote:
> Hello, all.
>
> I've been playing with the Network Weathermap tool found at
> http://wotsit.thingy.com/haj/cacti/php-weathermap/
> Is anyone else using this, or something similar?

I've hacked up bbmap to do something similar, but this is way cooler!

> Although it claims to be for cacti, it actually will work rather nicely
> with MRTG, provided you have a .rrd backend and a frontend that can
> generate popup graphs, such as routers2.cgi.  The drawback is that you
> need to run the map generation via cron or similar because it does not
> generate it on-demand - however this is a relatively low CPU load.
>
> Using this, you can get dynamic colour changes and graphs to show
> network health, very popular with our networking guys.  If you want to
> configure it with MRTG/RRD/routers2 then you need to use configurations
> like:
[...]
> of course changing the cfgfile.cfg and targetname parameters, and the
> /path/to/rrd/files as necessary.  There's no reason why you should not
> be able to do similar with other frontends like mrtg-rrd as well.  Note
> that you need to install the RRD-PHP interface on the server for this to
> work, though.

I generate a lot of that information from a database of eigrp state
changes that I maintain by watching syslog form all of my routers..  Of
course the layout is manual.

> I'm currently working on a Perl/Tk script for dynamically editing the
> config file and automatically inserting all these details.  If anyone is
> interested in trying this out or having a play with the beta map editor
> then please let me know.

Yes, I'm always looking for something new...

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
Austin Energy