[mrtg] Re: Threshold + Maxbytes

William Owen William.Owen at profilesmail.com
Thu Feb 9 23:14:19 MET 2006

-----Original Message-----
On >Behalf Of Steve Shipway
>Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 3:48 PM
>To: 'Jonathan Carpenter'; 'mrtg-list'
>Subject: [mrtg] Re: Threshold + Maxbytes

> > This is the most allowed incomming connections.
>> I have also set ThreshMaxI[target]: 90  I understand that
>> this will run my script with 90% of my connections are being
>> used. Is this correct or will I have to specify it as 90%?
>
>I believe that what you have set is for it to trigger when the number
>reaches 90.  If you want it to trigger at 90% of MaxBytes, you should
>specify 90% (with the % symbol).

>> 2) I want to also run another script if it reaches
>> 95% of my incomming connections. How can I get it to look at
>> 90% and 95% for this job?
>
>AFAIK you can only set up a single Max threshold for the incoming
value.
>However, the current value is passed to the trigger script, so you
could
>then make the trigger script examine the value and choose which
secondary
>script to call?  I'm not sure if MRTG calls the script once on passing
the
>threshold or if it calls it every time a value greater than the
threshold >is received.

We work around this issue by having the threshold script delete the temp
file created when the threshold is breached.  This forces MRTG to
evaluate as a threshold breach each time it is over instead of the
default of once for above and once for below.  You just have to put
enough smarts into your threshold script that it can look for the
various (90 and 95% in your case) conditions and be aware that it will
be getting a failure every polling cycle once the threshold is tripped
(you don't get notified every interval).