[mrtg] Re: Problems with mrtg returning 0

Nick D mrtg_list at coolnicks.co.uk
Mon Feb 20 18:20:59 MET 2006

>> Yes, you can use 'Gauge' at the options line. The disadvantage is that
your graphs are increasing all the time untill you reset the counter. The
result is an  >>impressive looking sawteeth graph.

So its not possible to say show total DHCP requests over the 5minutes, but
not ever increasing, such that in 5 minute invervals there were 3, 5, 1 then
4 requests. Is it not possible to show these on the graph as they are (e.g
not dividing by time) and without including the last result (like the
'Gauge' option).

Would it only be possible to do this with an external script?

Another question is what happens when a counter is reset upon reboot, i
rebooted just now and alot of graphs spiked to 32,000, is this because the
counter got reset to 0 and MRTG thought the counter had overflowed and
reset? Does it not check when the device was last booted and decided from
that?

And have you had any experience with external scripts getting data from WMI,
its hellish slow, i just timed it and it took 45 seconds to run mrtg once,
and thats only 3 WMI scripts.

Sorry for all the questions, but you are being a great help :)

Nick