[mrtg] Re: Massive peaks on counter resets

Scott_Rochford at DELL.com Scott_Rochford at DELL.com
Thu Feb 23 18:45:13 MET 2006

Many thanks Jan,

I changed Maxbytes to 100000 and manually removed the values higher than
that from the log file, now the charts look correct again.

I would still be curious to know whether this is a bug or simply my
misunderstanding of how it works.  If it is a bug are there plans to fix
it?  Surely a sudden drop in a counter should result in a large negative
value (which I would expect to be discarded) rather than a large
positive?

Regards,

Scott.

-----Original Message-----
From: Koelstra, J. (Jan) [mailto:JKoelstra at MINSZW.NL]
Sent: 20 February 2006 11:27
To: Rochford, Scott; mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: RE: [mrtg] Massive peaks on counter resets

Scott,

I don't know exactly what changed between these two versions. As work
around you can lower the MaxBytes value for this specific counter.
If the part of the logfile is representive for the normal traffic flow
you can set the Maxbytes to something like 3000 to avoid peaks higher
than this value and still have all the normal traffic graphed.

HTH,

Jan.