[mrtg] Re: mrtg frustrations

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Thu Jan 5 23:04:12 MET 2006

Aaron Clasby wrote:

> Does the ifref match Dells ifAlias lines then? I wondered if the reason
> it says that ifref are not unique is because they are the same because
> the yare blank because it doesn't exist. I do have descriptions for most
> of the interfaces, but not all of them, so there would still be some
> problems there.

I don't know about Dell for sure.  One of --ifref=nr or --ifref=name
should work out of the box.

> I will review the link you sent me again.

Scroll down in the referenced link to the Configuration section.  The
choices for ifref and the advantages of each are given.  Note that this
controls how MRTG communicates with the monitored device and not how the
results will be displayed.  --ifdesc controls how it is displayed.  They
can be different.

The goal of --ifref is to identify a descriptor that:

1.  Uniquely defines each interface
2.  Is not likely to change

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323