[mrtg] Re: MRTG and SNMPV3

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Thu Jan 12 17:19:01 MET 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 16:50 +0100, LE SAOUT Yann NEURONES wrote:
> 			Hi,
>
> 			I'm trying to monitor a cisco router with Snmpv3
> protocol but i don't know how to use Net::SNMP like it's notified in the
> reference documentation .
> "mrtg-reference - MRTG 2.13.0rc4 configuration reference"
> EnableSnmpV3
> When set to yes, uses the Net::SNMP module instead of the SNMP_SESSION
> module for generating snmp queries. This allows the use of SNMPv3 if other
> snmpv3 parameters are set.
> SNMPv3 is disabled by default.
> Example:
>  EnableSnmpV3: yes"
>
> 			Any idea ???

You need to specify all of the snmp v3 parameters on a target.  For
example:
Target[fiskville-net.austin-energy.net.cpu1]: cpmCPUTotal5secRev.1&cpmCPUTotal1minRev.1:public at fiskville-net.austin-energy.net::2:1:1:3
SnmpOptions[fiskville-net.austin-energy.net.cpu1]: authkey=>'0x5[omitted]',authprotocol=>'sha',privprotocol=>'des',username=>'public',privkey=>'0x7[omitted]'

On the Target[] statement, the snmp version must be set to "3"
the SnmpOptions[] statement should have a hash of snmp v3 parameters.
The number of parameters depends on how you set up your group/user.

For example, this user was set up something like:
snmp-server group mygroup v3 priv
snmp-server user public mygroup v3 auth sha [omitted] priv des [omitted]
access 79

I could have specified the authpassword and privpassword fields, along
with the engineid, instead of using the hashed authkey and privkey
statements.

Since I wrote the original docs, please critique the discussion on
SnmpOptions in the manual and offer suggestions.  I spent a long time
developing the solution, and know it a little too well to write good
docs, as I don't know what the average person doesn't know....

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX, CISSP # 78281
Austin Energy
dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com

gpg Key: http://austinnetworkdesign.com/pgp.key
Key fingerprint = B527 F53D 0C8C D38B DCC7  901D 2F19 A13A 22E8 A76A