[mrtg] cfgmaker filtering

Pavel Ruzicka pavouk at pavouk.org
Sat Jul 29 21:55:29 MEST 2006

Hello,

I have one longterm problem.
I generate configuration for MRTG with cfgmaker.
I have problem, that some Interfaces generated by cfgmaker doesn't have
ifInOctets and ifOutOctets and this makes SNMP timeouts and very slow-down
running of MRTG. This is problem for example with SONET, ATM, virtual-access
or vlans on Cisco router.
For ATM I use this: --if-filter='$default && $if_type!=37 && $if_type!=134'
This solution is not perfect, because when someone insert other problematic
card in a router, my system has big problems after regenerating of config.

I have idea, that cfgmaker can check availability of these OIDs, and when they
doesn't exist, he comments automatically problematic Interfaces. Is this
a good Idea or am I totally wrong? Have somebody other solution?

Best regards,

Pavel Ruzicka

PS. I use mrtg-2.14.3 on Linux