[mrtg] interface removal cause snmpwalk

Mark Jones mjones at mnsi.net
Mon Jun 19 14:32:23 MEST 2006

I have mrtg running here great with one exception.
If I remove an interface from one of our cisco routers that mrtg is setup to pole it causes mrtg to try and find the interface by walking the whole interface mib. The problem with this is that the router in questions has thousands of interfaces so it causes the cpu on the router to spike to 100% and stops all further monitoring with mrtg until it finishes the walk. unfortunately the walk takes a few minutes and I am set to pole every minute so my mrtg server then spirals down as well.

Is there a way to stop mrtg from doing the walk if it does not get a response from the interface directly?

Mark Jones
London Operations
Managed Network Systems
171 Queens Ave Suite 515