[mrtg] How to solve this problem: port with tagged and untagged traffic

tipaporn.p at psu.ac.th tipaporn.p at psu.ac.th
Mon Mar 6 11:49:19 MET 2006

Hi,
  I found the problem about using mrtg to monitor 3COM 4400 SuperStack 3
switch. I'd like to monitor PORT1 with carrying tagged and untagged
traffic.
  In fact, I'd like to plot only a number of incoming and outgoing packets
on this port. I don't care which packet is tagged or not.
  The command I used for creating config file is " cfgmaker -global
"options[_]:bits,growright" --global "workdir:/var/www/mrtg/esw-in"
--ifref=name public at esw-in.xxx.yyy.zzz > /etc/mrtg/mrtg-esw-in.cfg"
  As a result, I got the configuration file with all interfaces are
commented out. In the configuration file, It's shown that the reason is
"--ifref=name is not unique for this interface".
   The detail of the configuration of 3COM switch is as following:
The switch has 3 vlan such as 1 (default), 100, 101.

VLAN ID |Port tagged | Port Untagged
100       |       1         | 2-20
101       |       1         | 21-22
1           |       -         |1, 23

and Management VLAN is VLAN 100

Could anyone point out the mistake? I have no idea to solve it.

Best Regards,

TI