[mrtg] Net_SNMP_util.pm, SNMP::Session honor ~/.snmp/snmp.conf ?

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Fri Mar 10 23:48:55 MET 2006

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Mike Mitchell wrote:

> Net_SNMP_util.pm is a drop-in replacement for SNMP_util.pm, only using Net::SNMP to do the hard work instead of SNMP_Session.pm.  The replacement is necessary to support SNMPv3.
>
> That said, you're not using Net::SNMP.  I can tell from the
>  at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/SNMP_util.pm line 490
> message you're receiving.  It also looks like you're using an installed version of SNMP_util.pm and not the one shipped with MRTG.  Do you know what version you're using?  I doubt that's a problem because the  MIB processing has been available since version 0.70 (current is 1.06).

I haven't had a chance to try your suggestion *yet*, I will soon, but I
have an semi-unrelated question:

Can either of these libraries called my MRTG be told to honor
~/.snmp/snmp.conf?  If they're using the underlying Net-SNMP PERL modules,
it should "just-work" if they're using the underlying function calls.

In my experiences, it is not honored by MRTG SNMP calls, but that may be
related to the use of Net::SNMP instead SNMP::Session

[I'm still not sure how I convince MRTG to use one over the other, but
we'll get to that after I sober up on Monday]

==
To answer your question ...

The version of p5-SNMP-Util in FreeBSD ports is:

 	PORTNAME=       SNMP-Util
 	PORTVERSION=    1.8
 	MASTER_SITES=   ${MASTER_SITE_PERL_CPAN}

Which is fetched from CPAN; presumably based on the 1.8 version number
this is something entirely different from what you're written?

Well either way this whole thing is a mess.  My proposed solution is to
paint my face green and start drinking Guinness.  I'll chase this up on
Monday.

~BAS