[mrtg] Re: mrtg for home users: more precision than '5minuteaverage'?

Constantine A. Murenin mureninc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 10:42:06 MEST 2006

On 31/03/06, Koelstra, J. (Jan) <JKoelstra at minszw.nl> wrote:

> Constantine,
>
> If I understand you well you want to monitor the usage of one particular line for a short period of time and with small intervals.
> Besides you want it simple, safe and do not want to spend too much time on it.
>
> If you are using any Windows based OS I suggest you use Getif. (http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/getif.htm)
> This little tool can graph SNMP values with intervals as smal as 1 second.
> The only disadvantage I see is that you can not run it as a background service.

Jan,

Thanks for your suggestion! But I don't have a win32 computer on that
DSL-line, only FreeBSD and OpenBSD servers. So this win32 programme
does me no good.

Indeed, I want to monitor rather small intervals, and have proof that
the line is used at ~100% when it is for a period of around 30 or 60
seconds (i.e. the time it takes to download around 11,25MB or 22,5MB
at full speed respectfully), so 1 minute interval would be all right,
but 5 minute interval is just too broad for this home 3.0/512 ADSL
line to catch the peak usage.

Cheers,
Constantine.