[mrtg] Re: mrtg for home users: more precision than'5minuteaverage'?

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Mar 31 14:24:36 MEST 2006

>>> "Constantine A. Murenin" <mureninc at gmail.com> 03/31/06 3:56 AM >>>
> >> Have you even *tried* using RRDTool as the backend and MRTG with
> >> interval set to 1?  MRTG is not going to do 1 minute intervals, any
> >> time soon, if ever.
> >
> > Can mrtg still plot my graphs and generate html in this fashion
using
> > most of my existing configuration?

Yes, but you'll need to regenerate your databases (logs under "native"
MRTG, .rrd under RRDTool) because the current resolution of
5 minutes will still be there.  You'll need to restart MRTG once you've
installed RRDTool and set the interval to 1.

> > I believe that you're thinking of MRTG as being more than it is.
MRTG
> > is a collector. It collects data.
> > The data collected by MRTG can be stored in log files or RRD files.
If
> > you want one minute granularity, then you need to use RRDs.
> > HTML is generated by the front-end to MRTG, be it the 14all.cgi
> > included with MRTG or Routers2.cgi.
>
> I don't know what you are talking about. I use mrtg for everything,
> and my configuration shell script only calls cfgmaker, indexmaker
> and then finally mrtg. After I run this simple 50-line script once
> on any machine with package 'mrtg' installed, and it just works.
> But it does not provide the required accuracy, i.e. the generated
> graphs do not show the peak usage when someone downloads a
> ~20 mebibytes of data through 3.0/512 ADSL line through ZyXEL
> 660.

Neither will 1 minute intervals.  You need to set up snmp on your
router to send a trap when your line has reached maximum capacity.
That is the ONLY was you'll get this.  Not even a 1 second polling
granularity will give you this information.  And in going down to
1 second, you've introduced a TON of potential errors.

Paul