[mrtg] Summing Many Interfaces

MrPaul mrpaular at gmail.com
Wed May 24 16:30:05 MEST 2006

I'm looking at graphing the total & avg bandwidth for 4000+ interfaces.
Just trying to trend out customer patterns here.
I had initially wrote a small script that is called form MRTG that will do a
snmpget for in & out octets for each PVC, sum them, then return that to MRTG
to insert into the RRD.  This is errored as I haven't accounted for counters
that rollover.

Since MRTG already has this built in I'm asking myself...why should I
duplicate effort.

I'm looking at going a new direction and would like some feedback.  Is there
a mechanism built into MRTG that does this?  Should I have MRTG poll the
interfaces individually then use a CDEF to merge the data to create graphs.
Is there a better way that I'm completely missing.

Thanks
Paul