[mrtg] mrtg performance

Perry, Duane PerryD at missouri.edu
Mon Nov 6 14:18:23 MET 2006

I am running a huge cfg file.  It polls 28,000 interfaces.  I noticed
that the SNMP query/response part of the process goes quickly.  I set
forks=16 and you can see the 16 processes running simultaneously.  When
it writes to the rrd files it drops back to a single process and takes a
long time.  I write tiny klunky perl scripts but have little experience
and no training.  Is there some way to fork that part of the script?
MRTG would be much more scaleable if that piece were more efficient.

Duane Perry

University of Missouri