[mrtg] default (not gauge) no updating

Mike needacoder at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 22:26:26 MET 2006

All,

I am trying to configure MRTG (2.14.7) using rrdtool (1.2.12).  All of
the gauge graphs are working great, but one that is supposed to use
the default "counter" method never updates.  The gauge option missing
is the only difference for this one graph, and if I put the option in,
then the graph updates and works (although the data is obviously
wrong, since the value read via SNMP is a counter).

Every time MRTG runs, the values are polled correctly.  Since all of
the values are read from the same device, and this graph works ok when
using gauge option, this does not seem like a lifetime/timestamp
problem.  The problem is that with every update, the new counter
values are just pushed up to the latest timestamp, and all the old
values are set to zero.

An example (just first few lines of the .log file):
1163279100 63966 30760
1163279100 0 0 0 0
1163278801 0 0 0 0
1163278800 0 0 0 0
1163278500 0 0 0 0
1163278200 0 0 0 0
1163277900 0 0 0 0
1163277600 0 0 0 0
1163277300 0 0 0 0

and a bit later:
1163280001 64007 30763
1163280001 0 0 0 0
1163279701 0 0 0 0
1163279700 0 0 0 0
1163279400 0 0 0 0
1163279100 0 0 0 0
1163278800 0 0 0 0
1163278500 0 0 0 0
1163278200 0 0 0 0
1163277900 0 0 0 0

later still:
1163280301 64026 30764
1163280301 0 0 0 0
1163280001 0 0 0 0
1163280000 0 0 0 0
1163279700 0 0 0 0
1163279400 0 0 0 0
1163279100 0 0 0 0
1163278800 0 0 0 0
1163278500 0 0 0 0
1163278200 0 0 0 0

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or hints.