[mrtg] ifalias being ignored on DLink switchs

richard marshall richard.marshall at vibrantmedia.com
Wed Nov 29 10:41:53 MET 2006

Hello,

I am monitoring 50+ Dlink switches and am trying to make things a
little easier to identify interfaces by using the IfAlias directive
to reference each interface (because we have fully descriptive names
configured on each switch interface).

When I run an snmpwalk against the switches, the IfAlias field comes
back with the descriptions that we have assigned to each interface ->

-----------------
IF-MIB::ifAlias.1 = STRING: lon-core-switch11:1
IF-MIB::ifAlias.2 = STRING: lon-core-switch11:2
IF-MIB::ifAlias.3 = STRING: lon-nas01:1
IF-MIB::ifAlias.4 = STRING: ims01b:01
IF-MIB::ifAlias.5 = STRING: ims01a:01
IF-MIB::ifAlias.6 = STRING:
..etc, etc,
-----------------

But when I use the '--ifdesc=alias' switch, cfgmaker ignores the
ifalias description and returns the rather less helpful interface
description, e.g. 'RMON-Port--1-on-Unit-1'. Is this an issue with
MRTG, (I'm using 'cfgmaker for mrtg-2.14.7' by the way), the
implementation of SNMP on the switches or my misunderstanding? Is
there anyway that i can get the interface alias into the cfg files
without having to edit them one by one?

Thanks and regards

Richard Marshall

This email is intended for the exclusive use by the person(s) mentioned as recipient(s). This email and its attachments, if any, contain confidential information and/or may contain information protected by intellectual property rights or others rights. This email does not constitute any commitment from Vibrant Media or its subsidiaries except when expressly agreed in a written agreement between the intended recipient and Vibrant Media or its subsidiaries. If you receive this email by mistake, please notify the sender and delete this email immediately from your system and destroy all copies of it. You may not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print or copy this email or any part of it if you are not the intended recipient.